Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Journey to Freedom - The Weight

So, I've been on a journey the last 10 years or so - on a journey of how to lose weight and keep it off.

I'm not  a big fad dieter, I don't think. But, I did try the Atkins diet (with success).  Then, I tried the 3 day diet - not so much success. I like to eat too much for that messily little diet.  Then, lastly I tried the HDC diet.  Puhleeeze.  I can't keep up with that!  I like to eat - LOVE to eat, in fact.

So, finally, I tried the "God diet."  Last September when D. left, I did a lot more fasting than I had done in the past, and then I started working out in December.  Love the way the working out makes me feel - empowered and in charge of my own body.

The pounds started falling off.  I stopped craving food, and I stopped medicating myself each time I was stressed or even happy.

So, I asked God, "What changed?"  He replied, "You have been faithful in what I have asked you to do.  This won't be a struggle for you anymore.  You are free!"

And, truly - I AM free!  I haven't put back on any weight I've lost, and in fact, am thinner now than I was in high school - and I was on the dance team in high school (and yes, I CAN dance!) Just ask my kids - they beg me to dance with them most days.

At any rate - I'm free.  I feel it, and it feels wonderful!  It looks good too!  Sooo good, it's hard not to want to put that feminine "sway" in my walk and wiggle when I'm in public.  Though I have to admit, I DO wiggle in my "new" body a lot in front of my mirror. How can I not - I'm in shock and awe each time I look in the mirror.  Yeah - the walls laugh at me, I'm sure, but that's okay!  My God has a sense of humor.  He created the platypus, didn't he?

But, really, all this new skinniness is taking some getting used to.  It's different for me.

I was always a "healthy" child - much like my youngest son.  And, I have ALWAYS loved to eat.  I just never learned to put a cap on it and control it.

Now though, I see food as energy for my body, and not something I HAVE to have.  I don't worry about offending someone if I'm somewhere and they want me to eat more. I just don't eat it, and let them get over me not eating it.

If I want it, and it's good for me, then I eat it.  But, really, it's about self-control.

This body isn't mine anyway.  I gave it back to God, and He says it's HIS vessel - HIS temple.  Who am I to destroy it or not take care of it?

That's like God giving me a car, for him to ride around in, and then I don't take care of it (which reminds me that I need to give my car a bath, now that I think about it.  Anyone want to volunteer?).

I have to take care of this body.

So, as you can see - in the above picture - I was quite a chunky thing.  Not unhealthy really - well, according to my doctor, I was in GREAT shape. But, really it wasn't in the best shape I could be in.

So, I've been working on it.

AND - as you can see below.  I've come quite a long ways with God's help.  

I still have another 15 pounds or so to lose, but really - now is just to finish toning and add the extra muscle in places where it needs to be.

Again - this isn't about looks - for beauty DOES fade, and wrinkles come, and flabbiness comes (well, it's already here) LOL, and much more goes AWAY and falls DOWN! But, it's about being healthy.  So, that's what I'm doing.

1 comment:

  1. You look tiny....I wouldn't see how you need to lose 15 more lbs. Good job!

    ReplyDelete