Oh, my! How God loves me!
I was just encouraged by a sweet brother in the Lord today. His compliment and encouragement was such a gift - not one asked for, but one much appreciated.
I love to sing. I love to dance. And, I love to work with kids. But, I sometimes feel discouraged in my own self. I feel like I am not doing a good job, and I KNOW I could use some encouragement from time to time.
I know I have a good voice, but I also am hard on myself much of the time when I sing. Even just last night on a song I have sung it seems a "thousand times" the last 9 years, I was hard on myself. I was frustrated that I could no longer hit those lower notes in the song like I used to do. Isn't your voice supposed to get lower over the years, not higher?
I am really my own worse critic. I have come a long way in not being so hard and critical on myself, but I still have a ways to go. It's nice to have someone come along from time to time and encourage me, saying, "you did a great job last night, and God has gifted you." And, "You are such a blessing to hear sing." I had a guy at school the other day even say to me (he caught me singing and humming as I was hanging up my bulletin board outside my room), "You have the voice of an angel." What a blessing that is to be encouraged so.
D. was never a big encourager. Usually he was a discourager. He was always good at pointing out my flaws or the negatives on "why's" some of my ideas would NOT work. But, he wasn't big on compliments or giving encouragement. He WOULD encourage me when I sang though (just as long as I wasn't singing in the morning - LOL), and he did encourage me from time to time on my appearance. But, that's about it.
So, when someone else comes along to give encouragement or a compliment, it's a blessing. Thank you, Lord, for those blessings.
In the past, I would just put down people's compliments or brush them off, but God has shown me over time to receive them as a blessing and to thank the person for their compliments and encouraging words instead. So, now that's what I do.
My mother and a lot of my friends are HUGE encouragers. They don't just give empty compliments, but they encourage me in my quest and my desire to succeed in what I'm doing. They know I'm a dreamer with big dreams, and they say, "You can do it. With God all things are possible. God has gifted you and will show you how to achieve what HE has set ahead of you. He is going to bless you for your faithfulness to Him and your obedience to Him."
My primary love language is words of affirmation. My secondary is touch. So, when someone wants to work their way into my heart, encouragement is the way to do it. Touch is next, but that can be tricky with the opposite sex.
In fact, Paul tells men in 1Timothy 5:2 "Treat older women as you would your mother, and treat younger women with all purity as you would your own sisters." I wonder how many single men and even married men need to re-read passage of scripture. - Just sayin'.
My boys definitely know how to do this. They work at wrapping me around their fingers a lot. Even just this morning Caleb said, "Mama, I sure do love you." How I love that little boy!
Those two keep their mommy built up a lot - and they are TRUTHFUL about things too! They even let me know when I stink, my breath stinks, or my legs feel "sticky" (when I haven't shaved).
But, the also encourage me too with words like:
- Mommy, you look so pretty.
- Mommy, I'm so proud of you.
- Mommy, you're a good mommy.
- Mommy, you're so kind and sweet to people.
- Mommy, you look like a princess.
- Mommy, will you sing for us? We like you to sing.
- Mommy, will you dance for us?
- Mommy, you are so fun.
- Mommy, you are so silly.
And on and on they go. Oh, how God has blessed me with these two little encouragers. They tell it like it is, so I KNOW I am getting truthful information from them. And, their encouragement means a lot.
Encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today…” (Hebrews 3:13).
If you haven't encouraged someone today, I encourage you to do so. It will bless them, and you will be blessed for it. Don't lie to the person, but find something to encourage them in. Be an encourager!
Here's a great weblink to get you started with some good ideas. -
19 Ways to Encourage Others
Be blessed today dear readers,
God is mighty and has good things in store for those who obey and love Him.
8 Taste and see that the Lord is good.
Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!
9 Fear the Lord, you his godly people,
for those who fear him will have all they need.
10 Even strong young lions sometimes go hungry,
but those who trust in the Lord will lack no good thing.
Psalm 34:8-10
No comments:
Post a Comment