Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Devil is a Liar

The devil is such a liar.

About 2 years ago, I had my first cardiologist appointment. I wasn't thrilled to be going. It was then I was told that I probably had atherosclerosis and was going to be referred to a specialist.

Now, I'm not one to panic over these things - or anything really, and I certainly don't like to talk about any physical ailments I might have, mainly because I was born with a "tough it out" personality. If anything, I have had to work harder to be more compassionate with people when they ARE sick (unless there is a TRUE visible sickness),because I do have the "buck it up" kind of personality.

Even as a little kid, my mom knew that I wasn't one to whine about ailments, large cuts, or burns. She could definitely tell you some stories about me pushing through the pain. I have always been pretty active, so I never had time for all that "whining stuff."

Back to my story -




I finally had to see a cardiologist - The reason I even started seeing a cardiologist in the first place was because I have had to deal with severe breath-taking chest pain at various times over the years. I never told anyone, because I didn't want them to worry. So, finally after dealing with it for over 10 years, one night as I lay in my bed dealing with it yet again, I prayed that if God would let me live through this last chest-piercing intense pain (I thought I was having a heart attack) that I would finally go see a doctor.

So, without telling my husband, I did as I told God I would and went to see my doctor. All the while, I got mad at the devil and told him he was a liar.

My doctor ran some tests, and then with a rather concerned look she referred me to a cardiologist, who ran a battery of tests on me. I was told by that doctor that I probably had atherosclerosis and that I would just have to take meds the rest of my life.

What? Meds? Me? no way! I stay as far from doctors as possible. How could I have atherosclerosis? I'm not that old yet? Are you kidding me? Really? I have kids to raise!




Not, that I don't respect doctors, but I have learned over that years that God has provided so many natural means of taking care of things, so I'd rather do my research and make some changes rather than to go see a doctor. Besides, I have learned that most of the meds prescribed by doctors, end up causing harm to your body in some way, that will have to be countered with yet another drug.

Well, after all the tests were run, the doctor came in the room with the results. Low and behold, after all those tests, we discovered that I have low blood pressure (I already knew this - V8 and SALT are my friends), and we discovered that I have GREAT cholesterol levels. Um - YEP - I knew that too!

Besides - don't get me started on the medical hoopla of cholesterol that is insane. That's another post saved for another day.

After the tests, the doctor also informed the that I did NOT have atherosclerosis. Praise that Lord! Whew - well, that's good news. I wondered how a young woman of my age could have a disease like that which is usually associated with older people.

However, we DID discover that I do have a heart arrhythmia. Meaning that my heart skips a beat a lot of times. There are times I can actually feel my heart beating and that I can feel it in my chest deeply and even feel it as it skips a beat. I thought everyone could do this, but according to my doctor, this isn't really a normal feeling. :) Ha ha ha - and here I thought this was normal. I've felt my heart beat many times since I was a little girl.

At any rate, my doctor informed me that I should be fine. I just needed to not put too much strain on my heart with high level activities. REALLY?

Ha ha ha! That was too funny! This doctor obviously didn't know me. Now, at the time, I wasn't that active with phsycial workouts really. Though I guess you could call chasing a toddler and a 3 year old around the house each day was strenuous enough. But, lately, I've taken to running and dancing like a maniac around my house. I've always loved dancing and even had some professional training in high school. But, now that I'm living single and am making great new friends, I find myself dancing more. Strange, I know!

Well, this heart arrhythmia has lain dormat for over 2 years now, and I haven't had to deal with it much. I learned how to manage it and began taking herbs to help with it. No problems really, until tonight.

While running tonight, I had a major issue with it (one I don't want to talk about at the moment, because it made me mad), that is most frustrating to me. So, rather than walk in foolishness, I had to choose instead to slow my run to a walk, and walk in wisdom. *Pun intended* :)

I am determined though that I WILL run this race in March, I just have had to realize that I am going to have to slow my training down.

So rather than training with a pattern of run 5 minutes, walk 3, run 5, walk 3..., 3 days a week, I am going to have to up my days that I train, and run and walk at different intervals. Hopefully, I can build up my tolerance and resilency by the race, so that I can run the whole 3.2 miles without walking.

I am running this to prove to myself that I CAN do this. I am running this to prove that I CAN do all things through Christ. And, I'm running to say, I WILL not only survive, but I will THRIVE. I will NOT lay down, give up, let up, or break down. I CAN do this!

I just need to do it with wisdom.

The devil is a liar, and I am trusting God for complete healing and praying for strength and wisdom as I run this race - not just simply a 5K - but the race of life. The life God has laid before me to RUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment