I didn't ask for this life. I asked for "death til you part." I asked for a commitment and a trust in God that would get us through thick and thin, good and bad, highs and lows, ins and outs, good times and bad times, sickness and in health,... Well, you get the idea.
But, as James 1 says, I consider it PURE joy when I have faced these trials, for I know I am now stronger and stand firmer in my faith in Christ Jesus, my Lord.
James 1:2-4 "My brothers and sisters, when you have many kinds of troubles, you should be full of joy, because you know that these troubles test your faith, and this will give you patience. Let your patience show itself perfectly in what you do. Then you will be perfect and complete and will have everything you need." So, I am full of joy because my faith has been tested, and God has helped develop patience in me. I have more patience, and I know that I can stand up to the test.
-I have learned to love the unlovely, and to forgive and have mercy on those who mistreat you.
-I have learned that it's okay to set boundaries with those you love, and that setting boundaries doesn't mean you love them less.
-I have learned that God expects us to guard our hearts, but that He also expects us to be gentle as lambs.
-I have learned that I don't have to be bitter or resentful of a husband who abandoned you and your children.
-I have learned that sometimes God expects us to give up friends (even if it's only for a season, so that He can bless us in other areas), and that in HIS timing all things will work together for those who love Him.
-And, I have learned so much more.
But, in all this, I have had to learn how to balance my time better and to make sure I keep my priorities straight. People ask me at times, "How do you do it?" My reply is simply, "It's just God. That's all I can tell you."
Here is just a run down of my day:
4 AM (sometimes earlier)- Get up and grab my lemon water, Bible, and iPod. Head to the bathroom, for my devotional time (yes, I do my devotions with a long bubble bath in the morning - multitasking!)
4:45 - Out of the tub - laundry and kitchen cleaning to be done.
5:15- Pack lunches and get dressed
6:00 - Short cuddle time with boys - Get them up and dressed
6:45 - Leave for school
7:00 - Boys dropped off at school
7:15 - Me at school, finish up morning work before my students come in
7:30 - My students come in, and I work straight to 3:00
3:00 - Run a few errands
3:30 - Pick up boys, finish errands, and go home
4:00 - Mommy quiet time until 4:45 (now I get my running and workouts in during this time)
4:45 - light house work, unpack lunches, and clean out book bags
5:00 - Mommy/boy squad time - Bike riding, playing cars, chase, "karate" play, rough housing outside
6:00 - Supper
6:30 - School work with boys
7:00 - Boys' baths while I clean up
8:00 - Boys' brush teeth/prayers/read book/go to sleep
8:30 - My quiet time to catch up with friends, fold clothes, work on bills, or practice piano
9:30 - My bedtime (like to get it there before 9, but haven't done so lately)
And the next morning, I hit the "repeat" button
Except on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, we have church, so we get to bed even later.
Yeah - life is pretty hectic for a single mom, but I'm so blessed that I do get to spend some time with my boys each day. And, I'm blessed they are under my roof most nights.
Do I wish it would be simplier and slow down some. Sure, I do. And, I look forward to the day that it does. But, for now, I have much to be grateful for, and I thank my God for each new day He brings me. For His mercies are new EVERY morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment