Lately, I've been guilty of judging motives a lot. I guess it's mainly because of the situation I'm in right now, and I want to know the why's on what someone is doing. But, I (we, as Christians) am not supposed to judge someone's motives or their heart. God says that's his job.
1 Samuel 16:7 - But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”
God looks at the heart. He can see inside of man, but we can not.
The following are notes I took from part of John Bevere's Honor's Reward series that I have listened to MANY times over the last 2 years from the audio track regarding judging someone's motives vs. judging a person's fruit:
There's a big difference between judging someone's fruit and judging somebody's motives. We are called to judge their fruit, not their motives.
Jesus said, "You will know them by their fruit." - Matthew 7:16
We are not supposed to judge motives. 1 Corinthians 4:5 - "So don’t make judgments about anyone ahead of time—before the Lord returns. For he will bring our darkest secrets to light and will reveal our private motives. Then God will give to each one whatever praise is due."
So, I can't judge someone's motives. I can only judge them by their fruits. What is it they are doing or aren't doing? How are they living? What comes out of their mouths? What are their actions?
I can ask the what questions. But, I need to get rid of my why questions when it comes to judging people. It's not for me to know their why's right now. God will reveal that later when he makes our darkest secrets come to light. He will reveal the private motives.
I will just trust that no matter the motive of the other person, that God is orchestrating my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment